Friday, September 17, 2010

Unit 4

1. I felt somewhat emotional when asked to think of a loved one. I could not really "feel" the sensations in my body to become fully at peace with them like suggested. However, I did find the sounds to be peaceful and very calming. However, I could not get to where I felt I was supposed to be during this exercise. During the last half, I felt almost as if I were simply praying but just paying more attention to my breathing while doing so.

2. A mental workout, which goes beyond simple relaxation, is basically a way to train our minds. The loving-kindness exercise is a way of opening our hearts to others and a way of reducing self-centeredness, while preparing our mind for more development. Another exercise can be utilized to open our mind while revealing penetrating wisdom that "knows the truth of our life and of existence" (Dacher, 2006 pp 65). Doing these exercises everyday for an hour can help to improve my psychological health.

References:
Dacher, E. (2006). Psychospiritual flourishing. In Integral Health: The path to human flourishing (pp. 59-69). Laguna Beach: Basic Health Publications, Inc.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    To begin, I think this is the first time I've taken a look at your blog and I've enjoyed it! I like your pictures...your boys are cuties!

    In response to the Loving-Kindness exercise, I think it's ok that you didn't necessarily feel the way that you thought you should. If this process is new to you it may just take some time to reach a different level. I felt like quite the "beginner" as I listened the first time to the CD. I sort of felt like I was trying too hard - but I did enjoy the focus throughout. I will be taking some time to listen to the exercise again tomorrow and plan on continuing to do so - with hopes that it will become easier to reach a different state than it was the first time I listened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I agree totally with you. It can get emotional, especially thinking about a loved one, especially if its your spouse or children. I think alot of it is praying kinda, like praying for the love and well being of the person your thinking about. Great Post....Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica I had the same experience with Loving kindness being difficult until I reversed the seneriao, extending to others my feelings of love, and then coming back to feelings of love for myself. I am not sure why this is, maybe some of us are so use to giving, that we sometimes forget how to recieve. I is definately an ongoing pratice.

    Vicki D.
    Humanness and Wonder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica I too could bring up the image of the person that I was trying to imagine but I also did not feel the sensations either. Although at the end it did say to do this several times a week until you got the hang of it. I am try it again when I have the time to sit still for long enough.

    Just like anything else we have to train ourselves on how to do something and I think with this exercise it isn't going to be one of those that you get right away. Practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    I agree with you. For me this exercise was not quite what I was hoping for, it actually disturbed me a little. I enjoyed the music and was able to let myself feel a little emotional about my loved ones, but I don'think it was in a way the exercise was directing us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica,

    I agree I also was not a fan of the exercise. It kind of left me hanging as to what I was supposed to get from it. I myself am not one for this type of exercise. I like to center myself and do it my own way (might be a bit stubborn ;D) I get more distracted focusing on what I should be feeling and doing and it stresses me out wondering if I am doing it correctly.

    ReplyDelete